Saturday, May 18, 2013

Knitting as art (2013 FO #9)


A while ago, I finished my Moderne Log Cabin Baby Blanket from Mason Dixon Knitting, one of my favourite knitting books.


The blanket was gorgeous but, lacking any appropriate babies to give it to, I didn't know what to do with it. 

One day, I was looking at the bare walls in my living room (as you do, of course) and inspiration struck. I think my knitting is beautiful. It's modern (or at least moderne) and stylish...the perfect type of art for my house that really represents me. So, why not use a piece of knitting as an artwork?

For this to work, I had to figure out a way to frame the blanket. I decided to mount the blanket on a blank canvas. The first step was to attach the blanket to the frame. To do this, I placed nails along one side...


..at even intervals...


..then used the world's smallest hammer to bash them in to place.


The blanket fit the canvas lengthwise but I had an overhang on either edge of about 7 centimetres, so I folded it over the edge, trying to 'envelope' the excess fabric like you do when wrapping a present.


This is what it looked like from the back. The beauty of hanging the blanket means I don't have to weave in the ends! 


The final step was to hang it...


TaDa!!! 


Very modestly, I think it looks great. 


I now have incontrovertible proof that knitting is art and can be stylish, modern and look really fantastic. I am super chuffed with my knitted piece of art :)

PS: I have been reviewing up a storm over at my book-review blog so pop over and have a look if you're interested in my opinions of bookish things. There have been some very interesting books released recently that I have thoughts on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment