Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Sisyphusian spiralling scrapbusting baby hat (2013 FO# 6)

Yesterday I told you that even after finishing my very cute Blue Baby Surprise Jacket, I still had a pile of crepe yarn left. It was only 35 grams, but I was not going to put that back in the stash again! But what pattern uses odd bits of yarn that only weigh 5 - 8 grams?  I knew I had to put my thinking hat on ... Then inspiration struck! A hat was the perfect project and I knew exactly what I had to do to make it work.

I took three colours and cast on 24 stitches in each colour. 


Let's call them A, B and C, going from the left.

I then divided the stitches up for magic loop 
(all of A plus 12 of B on needle 1, 12 of B and all of C on needle 2)


Then started to knit as follows.
Round 1: Knit the A stitches with C. Knit the B stitches with A. Knit the C stitches with B.
The stitches are now are divided as follows:
all of C plus 12 of A on needle 1, 12 of A and all of B on needle 2.
Round 2: Knit the A stitches with B. Knit the C stitches with B. Knit the B stitches with A.
Every time one of the colours ran out, I closed my eyes and grabbed another ball at random out of the bag.

I continued with the spiralling pattern until the hat was as long as I thought it should be, then I cast off by decreasing every second row - I decreased every eighth stitch then every seventh then every sixth etc until I had nine stitches left, then I knitted an icord for a few centimetres.


I wish I was a better photographer because this shot does not reflect the total squee-ness of this hat! It's tiny and the rolled brim is so cute. It's pretty teeny so it should fit the same baby as the BSJ.


I suck so bad at photography! You'll have to trust me - it's very cute. It also took me about two hours to knit and used up annoying odds and ends out of my stash - I will definitely be making this hat again! The question is, can an adult get away with a fetching icord finish? Maybe not...

Oh, the cuteness!


0 comments:

Post a Comment